Featured Graphic Items
COVID-19 Update for Student Legal Services
COVID-19 DOES NOT END YOUR LEASE
- A lease is a binding contract for both the landlord and tenant.
- As long as the landlord is providing habitable housing, the tenant must pay rent.
- You will still owe all rent due for the remainder of the lease period, whether you are living in the unit or not.
- Not paying your rent will lead to a 5-day notice demanding payment. Failure to pay in five days will lead to the right of landlord to demand possession in court.
- In Champaign County, the sheriff is not serving civil process/eviction summons to court while the courthouse is closed. The court will reopen!
- Interest will accumulate for late and unpaid rent along with court costs and attorney fees.
- There are some landlords that will turn your nonpayment of rent over to collection agencies and credit agencies, which may destroy your credit rating.
- Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker’s Exe. Order 2020-10 has placed a moratorium on evictions under the “Gubernatorial Disaster Proclamation” and is in effect until the proclamation is withdrawn. However, you are still obligated to pay rent and perform any other obligations under the lease. The landlord can still issue a 5-day notice if you fail to meet your obligations and seek an eviction once the courts have re-opened.
Welcome to Student Legal Services
Since the early 1970s, Student Legal Services has a long and proud tradition of providing legal services and awareness of the law to the students of the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign.
This website is another example of this office's commitment to reaching out to as many of our students as possible to provide awareness of the laws that may affect their daily life and to fulfill one of our major functions—education of our students.
Champaign County Courthouse – CLOSED
The Champaign County Courthouse will be closed for general business until further notice. If you are scheduled to appear in court during that time period your case will be continued and you will receive notice of your new court date. You should remain in contact with your attorney. Emergency hearings such as Orders of Protection, juvenile detention hearings, shelter care hearings, and daily bond court will be addressed on a daily basis by a limited court staff.
News & Important Issues
- Immigration Resources in Champaign-Urbana-Savoy (pdf)
- Student Code
- Schedule a Lease Review: (217) 333-0112
- Community & Self-Help Resources
- Immigration Referrals
- Legal Links
The information contained in this website does not constitute legal advice nor is it intended to constitute legal advice. It is not a substitute for consulting an attorney regarding one's particular case. The information and opinions contained herein are those of the student legal service and are not necessarily those of the University of Illinois of Champaign-Urbana. All materials contained herein are the property of the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana Student Legal Service and its attorneys – All Rights Reserved.
No legal advice will be given over telephone or email
Business may not be conducted with an unknown party. This policy is for the protection of your privacy.