Student Assistance Center
About the SAC
The Student Assistance Center serves as the first point of contact for students who call or walk in to the Office of the Dean of Students. Our Assistant Deans help students understand university policies and procedures, educate them about and connect them to campus resources, and support students in crisis. Students visit us regarding a broad range of issues which may be impacting their academic performance including those related to health/mental health, course attendance issues, questions about where to go on campus to seek different services, options for withdrawing from the university, or because they need help and just arenít sure where to go. We help students find their way!
Hours and Location
The Student Assistance Center office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am-5 pm. We are located on the 3rd floor of the Turner Student Services Building in the Office of the Dean of Students. You may call our office at (217) 333-0050. We are closed on University holidays.
Dean On Duty
During business hours, there is an Assistant Dean on Duty who is available to see students who walk in, call or email our office. We see students on a first-come, first-served basis. If you have a more complex issue that will require more time or have limited time in your schedule to meet with us, you may call to schedule an appointment with one of our Assistant Deans. The Dean on Duty also responds to e-mail inquiries to our firstname.lastname@example.org email account. Please note that we do not respond to emails after business hours or on weekends.
The Dean on Duty assists students with a broad range of issues which may be impacting their academic and/or personal success. Much of our work is related to helping students:
- Understand and follow university policies and procedures
- Learn about and get connected to campus resources
- Manage crises situations which are impeding academic success
After Hours Voicemail
If you call our office when we are closed, you will receive the following voicemail message:
The Student Assistance Center in the Office of the Dean of Students seeks to support the academic and social development and retention of University of Illinois students. Through our services and programs we:
- Enhance students' knowledge of and access to University resources
- Facilitate students' ability to successfully navigate the various policies, procedures and processes of the University
- Support students experiencing unusually difficult life circumstances and crises
- Empower students to develop effective communication and decision-making skills, personal responsibility and the ability to function autonomously
The Student Assistance Center advocates for a University community that actively nurtures the intellectual, social, and personal development of its student body. We aspire to create a University climate that challenges and supports students to develop the skills of critical thinking, self and other awareness, independence, and healthy lifestyle choices that will serve them across a lifetime.
- Equity, Fairness and Inclusiveness
- Personal Responsibility and Accountability